Wednesday, January 24, 2007

You Live and Learn

The phrase "no good deed ever goes unpunished," keeps running through my mind.

For 14 looooooooong months I worked as a nanny. The pay was, lets just say that the pay wasn't all that good. In fact, I had to get a second job on the weekends.

The hours were long, and the kids were just sweet little darlings. Sarcasm intended. Don't get me wrong. I love children but, well you know.

And the working conditions, well we just won't go there. And the boss, well we probably shouldn't go there because my future or present boss may be reading this mild tirade.

As I said, I worked as a nanny to a family with, well maybe I should just say that they had a bunch of chilrens....You know, just in case someone reading knows me and so probably knows them. The mother had passed away. I won't say from what, which left a father with no clue as to how to deal with all 'em chilrens.

I submitted my resignation but before my notice period ended he fired me because of the one day in the 14 months I worked for him I called in to say that I couldn't make it to work.

So I did some research and found out that by law I was entitled to be paid at least the minimum wage per hour for hours worked up to and including 40 hours per week plus overtime pay at 1.5 times the rate for hours worked over 40.

But the law or one particular judge turned on me. He said that what I agreed to was only what I was entitled to.

He asked me if the employer had ever told me that he would pay me for overtime hours worked. I said, "No." It was much later that it dawned on me that NO employer told you that they would pay you for overtime hours worked. It was just understood. If you did. They did.
I wish I had thought of it sooner.

You live. You learn.

No comments: