Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Any Job Will Do...As Long As It Pays the Rent

I have not had a full time job since February 13, 1998. How do you remember that exact date you may ask? Well I’m glad you did. I remember because it was the day I was supposed to fly to Florida for my cousin’s Valentine’s Day wedding the next day. I was laid off a couple of hours before I was to leave for the airport.

Since that faithful Friday the 13th, I have not worked another permanent full time job. That was not entirely by choice however. You must understand that it was not the first time or even the second time that I’d been laid off and to be honest, it was starting to hurt my feelings. I was beginning to think that I was a jinx or something.

Any who, I was lucky enough to get a few long term temporary assignments through temporary agencies. Word to the wise, don’t EVER bash your agency on the survey they send you after an assignment ends, they're liable to drop you like a hot potato if you do. That’s what happened to me. I was angry with them for not calling me for assignments after one of my long term assignments had ended. I didn’t work for a while until the last assignment called me back. I even worked for Subways for a little. Think they'll send me something for mentioning them?? I'm not proud. I'd accept it.

So fast forward to 2004, I didn’t work for several months after that last assignment ended again. Then a friend who worked at a hospital told me of a position that she thought I may be interested in. What she didn’t know was that the position was PRN or as needed. Luckily they needed me a lot and I earned enough to keep some of the bill collectors at bay.

Then in 2005 I was asked to be the Nanny for a family with a bunch o'chilrens. I worked with the family for 14 months and I’m thinking of writing a book about that experience. I’m thinking of calling it “My 14 Months in Nanny Hell.”

Here we are in the year 2007 and I am thinking that I need to find that elusive job that will fulfill all my needs, money, enjoyment, bliss. The only problem is that I don’t know what that is...bliss, I mean if you were wondering.

I heard somewhere that the economy has gotten better and that there are more jobs available. Hmmmm...are they just not available to ME????

I wonder...........

No comments: