Friday, January 26, 2007

I Like My Job At the Hospital

...only drawback, I don't get enough hours to make a decent living. Working on that.

Anyway, but some of the people who call in are down right idiots.

I'm the receptionist so I know this first hand.

This person with call and ask, "Is Willie there?" Willie who? And I want to add. There are 253 employees working here. Do you expect me to know each and everyone of them personally and by name when I only work here part time AT nights????

But I calmly say....is that an employee or a patient? What department do they work in? Yes, it would make life easier if you knew what department they worked in. Thank you. I don't have a listing for that person. Goodbye.

Someone else will call and ask for Tracy. I'm like, which Tracy. I happen to know of at least 3 Tracys. Do you have a last name? No. Then do you know what department they work in. No. I could go on and on.

Then there's the woman who called wanting to talk to a director. Which one? I ask sweetly. Don't you have a director there? Yes, I say. We have several. She then explained that she wanted to talk to the director who would handle matters if something was stolen from her relative's room while they were at our hospital.

I find someone to speak to her. Not easy with it being AFTER HOURS and all. While the person is talking with her one of her family members yells out to her that THEY had the equipment.

I forgot to ask if she apologized. I somehow doubt it.

Can you tell that I'm in a grippy mood?

But overall. I don't have many complaints about my job. Like I said, I wish I had more hours.

The patients and family members are 99 percent loveable. It breaks my heart though when you find out that their loved one is nearing the end. That really hurts, especially when the patient has been in the hospital a long time and you have gotten to know their family.

Now that's the hardest.

No comments: