Thursday, February 8, 2007

What Would Happen If We All Thought This Way?

There was an article in the Bottom Line Personal on Ed Koch, three time mayor of New York City entitled “Why I’ll Never Retire.” Something he said really struck me.

When asked about the serious health problems he’s faced and how he managed to remain vital and positive, he answered,

"Sometimes it is people's reactions to physical problems that really handicap them. My personal bests may be behind me, but there are more 'very goods' to come. The most important thing is to never give up on staying in shape. As mayor, I weighed close to 245 pounds. I'm down to 220 now, and I'm always on a diet. Also, my rule is that if I don't feel bad enough to go to the ER, I must go to the gym three times a week." And here's the part that got me thinking, "It’s difficult to keep mattering in life when you don’t matter to yourself."

Isn’t that an awesome way of looking at life? I think I’m going to make that my new mantra.

It’s difficult to keep mattering in life when you don’t matter to yourself...former New York Mayor Edward Koch

No comments: